The Museum of the City of Antequera has its distant origin in the construction of the well-known as the Arch of the giants, in 1585 space considered the first public archaeological museum of Spain, and where an important epigraphic and sculptural collection of Roman times linked to the city is collected.


In 1908, by agreement of the City Council, and at the proposal of the archaeologist Mr. Rodrigo Amador de los Ríos, the “Municipal Archaeological Museum” was created. It was first installed in one of the lower corridors of the Municipal Palace, where over the course of more than fifty years an important collection of pieces of historical value, most of them from the Roman period, was assembled.


In 1966 the Municipal Museum of Antequera was created, the new installation was made in the Palace of Nájera, which had to be rehabilitated for this purpose and whose works lasted until the early seventies of the last century. Finally, it was officially inaugurated on March 15, 1972 by the then Prince and Princess of Spain, Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía.


During the years 2009 to 2011 they undertook the works of expansion and improvement of the Museum, which, since its reopening, was renamed “Museo de la Ciudad de Antequera” (Museum of the City of Antequera). These works have involved the rehabilitation of the old palace of Nájera and the construction of two new annex buildings. The resulting complex totals some five thousand square meters, half of which are dedicated to exhibition halls, making it one of the most important museums in the Andalusian community at the municipal level.

Cloister courtyard.

Palace of Nájera